govt.chinadaily.com.cn

Deciphering city codes: the Central Axis of Beijing

Gate of Earthly Peace (Di’an Men): Disappeared back gate

Updated: Jun 7, 2022 govt.chinadaily.com.cn Print
Share - WeChat
The Gate of Earthly Peace ( Di’an Men) no longer exists. Only the name is in use today. [Photo/VCG]

The Gate of Earthly Peace was built in 1420, the 18th year of the Yongle reign (1403-1424) in the Ming Dynasty. As the north gate of the imperial city during the Ming and Qing dynasties, its position corresponds to the south gate, the Gate of Heavenly Peace (Tian’an Men), signifying peace in heaven and on earth with timely wind and rain. It was located in the middle of the imperial city wall, to the north of the Prospect Hill (Jingshan) and to the south of the Drum Tower, but no longer exists. Only its name is still used today.

According to historical documents, the gate was a palace-gate structure built with bricks and wood.

In the Republic of China (1912-1949), the imperial city walls at both the east and west sides of the gate were demolished respectively in 1913 and 1923 for the sake of traffic convenience. In the early period of the People’s Republic of China (1949-), the gate and its left and right wings were pulled down in order once again to manage traffic.

Copyright©2022 China Daily. All rights reserved.

京ICP备13028878号-6

京公网安备 11010502032503号 京公网安备 11010502032503号