The Guangzhou Museum is Located in the beautiful Mount Yuexiu and is housed in Zhenhai Tower. The tower was built by the Yongjia Marquis Zhu Liangzu when he renovated Guangzhou in 1380. Since the Qing Dynasty (1644-1912), the tower has been rated among the top eight scenic spots in Yangcheng (Guangzhou's nickname) and among the 10 most beautiful modern scenic spots. The Guangdong Municipal Government established the Guangzhou Municipal Museum when it was renovating the tower in 1928. The museum opened to the public on Feb 11, 1929, and is one of the oldest museums in China.
In addition to the Zhenhai Tower Exhibition Area, the Guangzhou Museum has three other venues, including the Art Gallery Exhibition Area, the Sanyuanli Anti-British Invasion Museum, and the Memorial of the March 29th Uprising Headquarters. The museum is a comprehensive historical museum with local characteristics, as well as an important site that collects and displays local historical relics from Guangzhou.
There is a permanent exhibition entitled "Guangzhou History Exhibition" that displays nearly 1,000 pictures and materials from ancient and modern times, providing visitors with a complete picture of Guangzhou's history and local cultural characteristics. The museum regularly holds special or memorial exhibitions.
The collections of the Guangzhou Museum consist largely of cultural relics excavated since the founding of the People's Republic of China in 1949, which serve as the foundation for the museum's entire collection. Its collection has increased from 3,000 to 10,000 pieces through allocations from the municipal government, soliciting, purchases from society, and donations from enthusiasts.
Add: 988 Jiefangbei Road, Yuexiu district, Guangzhou
Zhenhai Tower Exhibition Area and Art Gallery Exhibition Area
Open daily from 9:00 am to 5:30 pm (Zhenhai Tower Exhibition Area)
Open from 9:00-11:30 am, 13:00-17:30 pm every day except Monday and public holidays (Art Gallery Exhibition Area)
Sanyuanli Anti-British Invasion Museum
9:00－12:00, 13:30－17:00, (closed on Mondays and Sundays).
Memorial of the March 29th Uprising Headquarters
9:00—12:00, 13:30—17:00, (closed on Mondays and Sundays).