Beijing Lu Xun Museum
Address: 19 Gongmenkou Ertiao, Fuchengmennei Avenue, Xicheng district, Beijing
Hours: 9:00-16:00 (Last ticket sold at 15:30)
Closed Mondays (except for national holidays)
General Admission: Free (passport required for entry)
Online ticket booking: www.luxunmuseum.com.cn/plus/yuyue2.php
Located near Fuchengmen in the northwestern part of Beijing, the Lu Xun Museum in Beijing is a memorial of historical celebrities.
Lu Xun (1881-1936) is regarded as the founder of modern Chinese writing and revered as a scholar and teacher. He played an important role in the anti-imperialist May the Fourth Movement in 1919, and his greatest legacy is leading the revolution of simplified Chinese script.
The museum, inaugurated in October 1956, takes up an area of 12,000 square meters, 1,000 of which are for the basic display of Lu Xun's life.
It is comprised of two sections -- Lu Xun's former residence where he lived from 1924-1926, and a large exhibition hall. Lu Xun's former residence is a cultural heritage site under the protection of the Beijing municipal government, and is an important part of the museum. It was officially opened to the public in 1949.The exhibition hall was built next to the residence by the Ministry of Culture in 1954 and opened in 1956, the 20th anniversary of Lu Xun's death.
The museum holds a collection of 70,000 cultural relics, 759 of them listed as first class. The bulk of the collection is manuscripts by Lu Xun, letters, journals, photographs and others of his personal objects. Exhibits of note are more than 2,200 pages of Lu Xun's notes to ancient books, his collection of over 140,000 books, and some stone-engraving paintings of the Han Dynasty (206 BC- AD 220). There are also more than 6,000 rubbings of the past dynasties that Lu collected. Permanent displays of Lu Xun's life stories demonstrate his contributions to modern revolutionary literature, the new woodcut movement, and the thoughts and cultures of his time.
Last Updated: Nov 30, 2018