The Queen of Heaven Palace Museum

Updated: Aug 31, 2018 Print
Share - WeChat



Located at the area of Dazhigu, the Queen of Heaven Palace Museum was the first heritage site museum in Tianjin to open to the public on May 1, 2002, covering a total area of 5,800 sq m.

The Dazhigu area was the earliest settlement in the city and the birth place of the city's commercial economy. It is also the terminal port of many shipping routes, which makes it significant in Tianjin's development.


Mazu is the goddess of protection of people who are to have a long sea voyage. People often went to worship Mazu before their journey in ancient times in China.

The rapid development of the shipping industry in the Yuan Dynasty (1271-1368) catalyzed the establishment of the Queen of Heaven Palace which is also a Mazu Temple.

The site was established 100 years earlier than the city which was built in 1404 during the Ming Dynasty (1368-1644) and was the first Mazu Temple in North China.

It was excavated by the Tianjin Archaeological Team from December 1998 to January 1999 and was listed among the municipal culture relic protection site on March 20, 2002.  


The main architecture of the museum is the Queen of Heaven Palace, in which more than 200 relics and over 300 ancient paintings are displayed.

The major exhibition includes four sections -- the ancient ocean, the Mazu culture, the river and the sea in the city and long lasting heritages.

In the center of the square in front of the museum stands a pillar, on top of which is a sculpture of the Mazu Goddess. Patterns of the ocean were carved on the pillar in the Yuan, Ming and Qing dynasties.

Address: Dazhigu Central Road, Hedong District, Tianjin

Open hours: 09:00-11:30 am

            13:30-16:30 pm

            Closed on Mondays (except on national holidays)

Tel: +86-22-24126989

Ticket: Free










Copyright©2022 China Daily. All rights reserved.


京公网安 京公网安备 11010502032503号