China welcomes international students to study in China as self-financed students. There are 400 institutions of higher education qualified to accept international students in China.
1) Students can apply to CSC through overseas academic institutions, educational organizations or non-governmental associations.
2) Students can apply to CSC directly.
3) Students can apply to Chinese institutions of higher learning directly.
2. Categories of Applicants and Duration of Study
The duration of study of different categories' students:
1) --undergraduates: 4 to 5 years
2) --master degree students: 2 to 3 years
3) --doctoral degree students: 3 years
4) --The study duration of Chinese language students, general scholars and senior scholars is not limited to any standard.
1) Applicants must be non-Chinese national and in good health.
2) The educational background:
a. Undergraduate applicants must finish senior high school.
b. Master degree applicants must have bachelor's degree.
c. Doctoral degree applicants must have master degree.
d. Chinese language students must finish senior high school.
e. General scholars must have completed two years of undergraduate studies.
f. Senior scholars must obtain master degree or hold academic titles of associate professor or higher.
4. Application Materials
1) Applicants shall fill out the Application Form for Self-Financed Study in China (in duplicates).
Students who apply to CSC through overseas academic institutions, educational organizations or non-governmental associations or individually must fill in and present this form, which can be obtained from Chinese diplomatic missions , or downloaded from this website.
2) Highest diploma (notarized photocopy). If they are university students or already employed, applicants shall also submit documents of being university students or on-post employees.
3) Senior high school transcripts for bachelor's degree applicants or transcripts for other categories' students (notarized photocopy).
4) Photocopy of Foreigner Physical Examination Form (printed by Chinese quarantine authority), filled in English. The medical examinations must cover all the items listed in the Foreigner Physical Examination Form. Incomplete records or those without a sealed photograph of the applicants are invalid. The medical examination results will be valid for 6 months. All applicants are kindly requested to take this factor into consideration while determining the time to take the medical examination.
5) Applicants for master or doctoral degree studies and senior scholars must submit two letters of recommendation in Chinese or English by professors or associate professors. Applicants who apply in China for master or doctoral degree studies must submit the Admission Notice of the university.
6) Applicants for music are requested to submit one cassette recording of the applicants' own work. Applicants for fine arts must submit six color photographs of personal works (two sketches, two color paintings and two other works).
5. Admission and Notification
1) Students who apply to CSC for self-financed study in China will be arranged into 88 institutions of higher education admitting Chinese Government Scholarship students. CSC will send the Admission Notice and Visa Application for Study in China (JW202) by the end of July to the recommending institution to transfer to the students admitted.
2) For individual applicants, the Chinese institutions are responsible of direct sending to the applicants the Admission Notice and Visa Application for Study in China (JW202) by the end of July.