Suitang Luoyang City National Archeological Site Park
Address: The intersection of Zhongzhou Road and Dingding Road, Xigong district, Luoyang city, Henan province
Hours: 8:30 am - 8.30 pm (last entrance at 8 pm)
The site park is located in the central area of today’s Luoyang city, which was the core zone of the imperial palace city during the Sui, Tang and the Northern Song dynasties (581-1127). It covers a vast area of 10.59 hectares. With its construction completed in the year 605, Luoyang ranked second in scale only to the then capital Daxing (occupying the majority of today's Xi'an in Shaanxi province) in the Sui Dynasty (581-618); it was expanded in the Tang period (618-907). It reached its heyday during the reign of Wu Zetian (r. 690-705); sites dating back to that time are well preserved. Thus, the remains of the Bright Hall (Ming tang) and the Hall of Heaven (Tian tang) from this period are specifically protected and exhibited. The park also includes ruins of the Taiji Hall from the Northern Song Dynasty (960-1127) and the Langfang Hall, which existed throughout the three dynasties.
The Bright Hall, the most significant building of this palace complex, follows the tread of its central axis and is restored in the style of a protective large-span structure. It is now a comprehensive demonstration of the achievements of site protection with relics and archaeological excavation, and a virtual tour of the original city through digital technologies. After visiting Bright Hall, people can get a full picture of the architectural styles of the Tang Dynasty by visiting the site of the lofty Hall of Heaven.