More and more foreigners are choosing to live and work in China and for many renting accommodation is the first step to a new life here. Here are some tips and suggestions.
How to find the perfect apartment?
1. Contact the landlord or a local agency
You can choose to contact the landlord directly to rent an apartment. You can also find the listing and follow up the rental process through a housing agency if you are new to the city. A reliable agency with qualifications can provide you with better service and protect your legal rights as much as possible. Many agencies also have their own websites and mobile apps, so you can search for listings based on your needs.
2. Choose the apartment that suits you the best
There are many factors to consider when looking for an apartment. For example, the rent, the distance from work or school, and the security environment and supporting facilities of the community.
3. Sign the contract
Once you find your favored apartment, you need to sign a contract with the landlord. You will need to show your passport or other documents required by the relevant regulations. You can also ask the landlord to show you their ownership certificate and ID. Please pay attention to the clauses covering your obligations and consequences of any breach in the contract. If you have any questions about the contract, you can ask the landlord or the agency.
4. After the contract is signed, you need to go to the local police station to register with relevant materials such as your passport and the contract. The specific process can be discovered at the local public security department.
1. After moving in, please carefully fulfill the obligations in the contract and the regulations of the community. For example, some contracts will state that pets or overnight guests are not allowed. If you share with other tenants, taking into consideration each other's living habits will make your daily life more enjoyable.
2. You can file a complaint with the local housing and construction department if your legal rights and interests are infringed during the rental period.
3. You can negotiate with the landlord whether to renew the contract or not when it expires. If you want to change your place of residence, you will usually need to register at the police station nearest to your new residence.