Studies have shown that the correct use of child safety seats in car collisions can reduce infant mortality by about 70 percent and child mortality by about 54 percent.
When selecting safety seats or safety belts, children are divided into four groups by height, weight and age:
The first group: Reverse child safety seat (infant safety seat; or Group 0 and Group 0+)
Recommended weight: 0-13 kilograms;
Recommended age: under or at 1 year old
How to use: Install the child safety seats in the reverse direction. As long as the children's weight is within the load capacity of the seats, reverse child safety seats are the best choice to protect the children's cervical vertebrae.
The second group: Forward child safety seat (child safety seat; or group I)
Recommended weight: 9-18kg
Recommended age: 1-4 years old
How to use: Install child safety seats in the forward direction, and add restraint straps. Such seats should be used as long as the children's weight does not exceed the load capacity of the seats or the height does not exceed the restraint length of the restraint straps.
The third group: Booster seat (booster seat with or without backrest; or GroupII + GroupIII)
Recommended weight and height:15-36kg; less than 145 centimeters;
Recommended age: 4-11 years old
How to use: Install heightening cushions, and add safety belts for adults to restrain the children on their shoulders and laps.
The fourth group: safety belts for adults
Recommended weight and height:36kg or more; 145cm and above;
Recommended age: above 11 years old
How to use: When using safety belts for adults, adults should:
1) Restrain children on their shoulders and laps;
2) Let children sit back against the seats;
3) Be sure children's feet can be placed on the floor smoothly;
4) Make sure children can keep this sitting position throughout the trip.
1. Install the seats on the rear seats of the vehicle.
2. There are currently combined child safety seats for children of different weights on the market. When choosing a safety seat, you should pay attention to:
the use scope and method of the seat;
whether the selected seat is suitable for your car;
whether the selected seat is a qualified product which has passed national 3C
certification (China Compulsory Certification).
3. This guide is for reference only and it is recommended that you select and install a safety seat under the guidance of a professional.
Chinese source: Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention