After foreigners who intend to come to China for private affairs such as work, study, family reunion, resident correspondents or visiting relatives apply for corresponding visas to Chinese visa-issuing offices stationed abroad and enter China, such foreigners shall, within 30 days from the date of their entry, apply to the exit-entry administrations of public security organs under local people’s governments at or above the county level in the proposed places of residence for foreigners’ residence permits.
Residence permits are divided into the following types according to the different purposes for residence:
(1) The residence permit for work is issued to persons who work in China;
(2) The residence permit for study is issued to persons who pursue long-term studies in China;
(3) The residence permit for journalists is issued to resident foreign journalists of permanent offices of foreign news agencies in China;
(4) The residence permit for reunion is issued to family members of Chinese citizens and family members of foreigners with permanent residence status in China who need to reside in China for family reunion, and to persons who need to reside in China for fosterage or other purposes; and
(5) The residence permit for private affairs is issued to spouses, parents, children under the age of 18 or parents-in-law of foreigners residing in China for work, study or other purposes, who apply for long-term visit to China, as well as for persons who need to reside in China for other private affairs.
The validity period of a foreigner’s work-type residence permit shall be 90 days at the minimum and five years at the maximum; and the validity period of a non-work-type foreigner’s residence permit shall be 180 days at the minimum and five years at the maximum.
Copyright©2020 China Daily. All rights reserved.