An aerial photo of the banks of the Yangtze River in Rugao, Nantong, Jiangsu province [Photo/IC]
Rugao, a county-level city in Nantong, East China's Jiangsu province, has made the restoration of the Yangtze River ecosystem its top priority and recently announced the 10 following plans:
1. Build an education center to promote awareness of the importance of protecting the Yangtze River.
2. Promote the construction of ecological corridors along the Yangtze River.
3. Promote the remediation and protection of water sources.
4. Plant more trees and add more green areas along the banks of the Yangtze River.
5. Regulate the city's 25 projects along the shoreline.
6. Carry out monthly inspections and continuously improve the water quality of the river's tributaries.
7. Dismantle sewage drains along the Yangtze River that aren't up to code and strengthen the sewage management capabilities of nearby companies.
8. Decrease chemical pollution along the Yangtze River and punish illegal activities by chemical enterprises that harm the environment.
9. Improve flood prevention procedures.
10. Strengthen environmental clean-up and remediation work along the banks of the Yangtze River and clear away unapproved structures.
Copyright©2019 China Daily. All rights reserved.