The seventh session of the 6th Shenzhen People's Congress opens on Jan 18. [Photo/sz.people.com.cn]
The seventh session of the 6th Shenzhen People's Congress convened in Shenzhen, Guangdong province, on Jan 18. Chen Rugui, mayor of Shenzhen, delivered the government work report for the year.
Chen Rugui, mayor of Shenzhen, speaks at the congress on Jan 18. [Photo/sz.people.com.cn]
The report highlights the economic and social development of 2018 in nine aspects:
1. The city's GDP exceeded 2.4 trillion yuan ($34.95 billion), an increase of 7.5 percent year-on-year, and the economic aggregate ranked among the top five for Asian cities.
2. The public revenue of Shenzhen was 910.24 billion yuan, and the local general public budget revenue was 353.84 billion yuan.
3. Shenzhen has become one of the best cities in the country for business.
4. The proportion of R&D investment as a percentage of GDP and the number of PCT international patent applications is leading the country.
5. The number of national high-tech enterprises ranks second in the country.
6. The increase in international air passengers ranks first in the country.
7. Shenzhen ranks among the world's first-tier cities, and has been selected as one of the top ten best travel destinations in the world.
8. The average PM2.5 concentration of Shenzhen was reduced to 26 micrograms per cubic meter.
9. Shenzhen has completed 40 tasks related to improving people's lives.
The city of Shenzhen [Photo/VCG]
Shenzhen government also set out its development goals for 2019 in the report.
It is expected that regional GDP in 2019 will grow by around 7 percent, while general public budget revenue will increase by 6.5 percent. Residents' income will be basically in sync with economic growth and the increase in consumer prices will be controlled to within 3 percent. The city will create 80,000 new jobs and maintain its registered unemployment rate in urban areas below 3 percent.
The city is going to admit an additional 20,000 children to kindergartens and more than 30,000 students to public primary and secondary schools. It will open 3,500 new beds and 1,000 pension beds in hospitals, and construct 80,000 sets of talent housing and 34,000 sets of affordable housing. The city will also complete the task of energy saving and emission reduction, as well as controlling financial risks.
This year, the focus of the Shenzhen government will be on the following aspects.
1. Shenzhen will construct Qianhai, Hetao and port economic areas to build an international comprehensive transportation hub to help develop the Guangdong-Hong Kong-Macao Greater Bay Area.
2. The city will deepen market-oriented reforms and create a first-class business environment for global innovation and entrepreneurship.
3. Shenzhen will create an emerging industry highland and improve the whole processes of innovation and ecological chains.
4. Shenzhen will promote manufacturing, upgrade the financial industry and optimize the production service industry.
5. Shenzhen will develop the smart economy, build a digital government and build a smart economy pilot zone.
6. The city will continue focusing on improving air quality and cracking the garbage disposal problem.
7. Shenzhen plans to build new cultural facilities and world-class coastal tourist resorts.
8. The city will arrange a total fund of 2.8 billion yuan to help the poor.
9. The city will spend 29 billion yuan on people's lives, especially in the fields of education and medical treatment.
Copyright©2019 China Daily. All rights reserved.